Mission & Aims
VUmc is one of the eight University Medical Centers in the Netherlands. With over 700 beds and 5.600 FTE it is one of the largest care and knowledge institutions in the Netherlands. Within VUmc, scientific research and patient care are based on five pivotal points, including patient care, training, educational programs and research, including Extramural and transmural research. The latter is organized within the EMGO+ Institute for Health and Care Research (EMGO+, www.emgo.nl), an interfaculty research institutes of VUmc and the VU University Amsterdam. Its mission is excellence in research in public and occupational health, primary care, rehabilitation and long-term care and combines inter-disciplinary applied research dealing with care and public health. The EMGO Institute is internationally leading in epidemiological methodology and longitudinal studies.
The Department of Epidemiology and the Department of General Practice and Elderly Care Medicine collaborate in diabetes research and have a joint research infrastructure in the Diabetes Research Center in Hoorn. Several long-term observational population and patients cohorts are ongoing, including the Diabetes Pearl, the Hoorn Study, and the Hoorn Diabetes Care System Cohort.
A selection of publications on modelling of complications of type 2 diabetes :
- van der Heijden AA, Feenstra TL, Hoogenveen RT, Niessen LW, de Bruijne MC, Dekker JM, Baan CA, Nijpels G. Policy evaluation in diabetes prevention and treatment using a population-based macrosimulation model: the MICADO model. Diabet Med.2015;32:1580-7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26010494
- Walraven I, Mast MR, Hoekstra T, Jansen AP, van der Heijden AA, Rauh SP, Rutters F, van ‘t Riet E, Elders PJ, Moll AC, Polak BC, Dekker JM, Nijpels G. Distinct HbA1c trajectories in a type 2 diabetes cohort. Acta Diabetol. 2015;52:267-75. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25287012
- van der Heijden AA, Walraven I, van ’t Riet E, Aspelund T, Lund SH, Elders P, Polak BCP, Moll AC, Keunen JEE, Dekker JM, Nijpels G. Validation of a model to estimate a personalized screening frequency to monitor diabetic retinopathy. Diabetologia. 2014;57:1332-8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24763851
- van der Heijden AA, Van’t Riet E, Bot SD, Cannegieter SC, Stehouwer CD, Baan CA, Dekker JM, Nijpels G. Risk of a Recurrent Cardiovascular Event in Individuals With Type 2 Diabetes or Intermediate Hyperglycemia: The Hoorn Study. Diabetes Care. 2013;36:3498-502. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23877981
- van der Heijden AA, Ortegon MM, Niessen LW, Nijpels G, Dekker JM. Prediction of coronary heart disease risk in a general, pre-diabetic, and diabetic population during 10 years of follow-up: accuracy of the Framingham, SCORE and UKPDS risk functions. The Hoorn Study. Diabetes Care. 2009;32:2094-8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19875606`
- van der Heijden AA, Rauh SR, Dekker JM, Beulens JW, Elders P,’t Hart LM, Rutters F, van Leeuwen N, Nijpels G. Cohort profile: the Hoorn Diabetes Care System cohort (DCS). A prospective cohort of persons with type 2 diabetes treated in primary care in the Netherlands BMJ Open 2017; in press
- van ‘t Riet E, Schram MT, Abbink EJ, Admiraal WM, Dijk-Schaap MW, Holleman F, Nijpels G, Ozcan B, Pijl H, Schaper NC, Sijbrands EJ, Silvius B, Tack CJ, de Valk HW, Wolffenbuttel BH, Stehouwer CD, Dekker JM. The Diabetes Pearl: Diabetes biobanking in The Netherlands. BMC Public Health 2012 Nov 6; 12: 949. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23130988
- Hillebrand S, de Mutsert R, den Heijer M, le Cessie S, Stehouwer CD, Nijpels G, Dekker JM. Autonomic function is not associated with the incidence of type 2 diabetes in a high-risk population: The Hoorn study. Diabetes Metab 2014; 40: 128-36. DOI:10.1016/j.diabet.2013.10.004
- Alssema M, Newson RS, Bakker SJL, Stehouwer CDA, Heymans MW, Nijpels G, Hillege HL, Hofman A, Witteman JCM, Gansevoort RT, Dekker JM. One risk assessment tool for cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, and chronic kidney disease. Diabetes Care 2012; 35: 741-748 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22338109
- De Hert M, Dekker JM, Wood D, Kahl KG, Holt RI, Möller HJ. Cardiovascular disease and diabetes in people with severe mental illness position statement from the European Psychiatric Association (EPA), supported by the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD) and the European Society of Cardiology (ESC). Eur Psychiatry 2009; 24: 412-424. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19682863
- Dekker JM, Girman C, Rhodes T, Nijpels G, Stehouwer CD, Bouter LM, Heine RJ. Metabolic Syndrome and 10-year cardiovascular disease risk in the Hoorn Study. Circulation 2005; 112: 666-673. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16061755
- Dekker JM, Crow RS, Folsom AR, Hannan PJ, Liao D, Swenne CA, Schouten EG. Low heart rate variability in a 2-minute rhythm strip predicts risk of coronary heart disease and mortality from several causes. The ARIC Study. Circulation 2000; 102: 1239-1244. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14975464